Wednesday, 29 July 2015

First Maternity Photoshoot

Last Tuesday I photographed my first Maternity photoshoot.
Prior to the shoot I decided to get creative and sew up my own maternity gown to use during the shoot. I figured why not, I have a history with textiles and they certainly didn't look that hard, plus buying one was way out of my price range.
Easier said than done.
I found some beautiful fabric at a local fabric shop, and it was on sale! I got 2 and a half meters of two different colours (a soft dusty pink and a lovely dark navy blue). All set with my sketches, fabric and sewing machine I was bursting with confidence and inspiration. I designed it to be two separate pieces (skirt part (two separate layers) that ties up above the belly and drapes down, and the top part that ties around the chest) so it would fit a variety of clients rather than being tailored to one. Super easier I stupidly thought.
It took 3 whole days to just sew the seams. The fabric was so sheer I found myself going back to unpick it all and start again. Every couple of minutes my machine (being well used over the many years) decided to chuck a tantrum, and having broken the bobbin filler thing years ago, I was having to start and stop again to hand reel more thread onto the bobbin. But I got there in the end.
The final product was a huge success, and so was the photo shoot.
My model was just four weeks away from meeting her little man, and she looked gorgeous!
Images are available for viewing on my Facebook page, which you can access by clicking here.

Also, we are currently in the process of building a website. Hopefully I will have it up and running very soon but I'm just trying to make sure that everything is perfect before it goes live.

No comments:

Post a Comment